Saturday, February 8, 2020

thoughts on dreams and loss

It seems like openings and closings of local businesses often come in waves. Over the last several weeks, a few places I've appreciated have closed.

First was Peace of Pizza on 95th St. They weren't with us long. I appreciated their goal in opening here and miss being able to stop by and pick up a slice on my way home from the train.

Next was Ellie's on 107th St. For years, they've been one of my favorite places for a tasty breakfast. I've introduced lots of friends to their delicious food and fun space. I've had so many good times there, including dinners with the Spanish language group that migrated from Blue Moon after they closed.

A sign recently appeared on the front door of Jimmy Jamm on 95th, saying that they were closing. They opened soon after we moved to the neighborhood. So many times I've stopped there on my way home from work to pick up a special treat, bought a pie for a holiday party or special occasion, or gone there at the end of the bike ride with friends. They opened my eyes to how many amazing things can be made with sweet potatoes. It was an after-ride destination for many bike outings over the years.

Jimmy Jamm - sweet potato pies and lots more

Now B-Sides has just closed.  I've visited there so many mornings on my way to the train, met up with friends, relaxed on weekend mornings, and enjoyed the music and relaxing space.

For many of us, these places have been homes away from home, social gathering places and introductions to wonderful flavors.  It's frustrating that some of had such extreme difficulties with burglaries, street construction and other problems.

To the owners and all the people who have worked hard there, thank you for sharing your dreams and your hard work with us. You've helped to make our community and our lives better. The neighborhood won't be the same without what you've brought to it.

To those who are coming soon, we welcome you, plan to buy from you and hope that you'll stick around a while.

Sign in the window of the former Peace of Pizza location on 95th.

No comments: