Wednesday, June 25, 2008

CFLs, energy and mercury

I got an e-mail from a friend with a link to this video, featuring Rep. Ted Poe of Texas. I found myself shaking my head in disbelief at how determined this guy is to be clueless about the big energy picture. He trots out any possible fact on the CFL issue, ignoring the fact that using one CFL for its lifetime generates far less mercury (from the generation of the energy to power the bulb) than the bulb contains and that opportunities for dropping and breaking one are fairly rare, because the bulbs last so long. He sticks his head in the sand about America's "abundant natural resources," insisting that more be done to make use of them. Wake up, moron! Those resources aren't so abundant anymore. Of course, he's from Texas and he doesn't want to admit that the freewheeling days of the oil boom are nearly over for his state.

I'm aware of the EPA clean-up protocol for broken CFLs. However, they are fairly sturdy, much harder to break than a conventional light bulb. I've been using them for years and have never broken one.

What's your $0.02 on this?

No comments: