If you haven't gotten the details about what's going to change with Metra fares and service in 2018, here's the scoop:
A Zone C to A monthly pass will increase from $149.75 to $159.50. A 10-ride will increase from $47.25 to $52.25. A 1-way ticket will increase from $5.25 to $5.50.
The price of $8 weekend passes will increase to $10.
For more details on new fares, click here. Fare increases will take effect 2/1/18.
Service cuts on the Beverly branch are as follows:
• Train 622 (arrives at LaSalle Street Station at 6:44 p.m.) will be eliminated.
• Train 424 (currently arrives at LaSalle Street at 6:28 p.m.) will now make all stops from Joliet to LaSalle Street via the
Beverly Branch to accommodate Beverly Branch passengers who previously took Train 622, arriving at LaSalle Street
at 6:45 p.m.
• Train 526 (arrives at LaSalle Street at 7:42 p.m.) will be eliminated.
• Train 532 (arrives at LaSalle Street at 11:50 p.m.) will be eliminated.
• Train 533 (departs LaSalle Street at 12:30 a.m.) will be eliminated.
• Train 527 (currently departs LaSalle Street at 8:45 p.m.) will depart at 9:15 p.m.
• Train 529 (currently departs LaSalle Street at 9:45 p.m.) will depart at 10:30 p.m.
• Train 531 (currently departs LaSalle Street at 11:15 p.m.) will depart at 11:45 p.m.
I don't know about you, but I often attend events and meetings downtown or in other neighborhoods after work. These changes are going to hurt. Sometimes this will will mean later nights and longer trips home. Some of those trips will be longer because departures from downtown are too late for my trip, so I'll end up taking the red line and 95th St. bus more often instead of sitting around a long time to take Metra.
For more details on service cuts (including other lines), click here.
Mary Wisniewski of the Chicago Tribune has an article the subject today.